The skill of sewing operator is an important factor in sewing productivity and quality. Current method of evaluation of sewing skill is primarily assessment of quality of output and time taken to complete the job. Important sewing parameters like average speed, sewing bursts, handling time, needle running time etc. are not considered while evaluating sewing skill. Moreover the assessment of quality is also subjective in nature.
Need of the Hour
To develop a system – first, that can measure important sewing parameters while the sewing is being done and calculate the process skill of sewing operator; second, that can measure the quality of the output objectively and calculate the quality skill of sewing operator. Moreover, the measure should be objective, repetitive, scalable and operation-neutral.
How it works?
The i-SMART system consists of patent pending hardware and software. The hardware consists of a Magnetic Rotary Encoder based Speed/Accelerometer (MREA), a User Interface device, a computing device (laptop or desktop) with SCADA, a bar code printer and a flatbed scanner. The MREA to be attached to the sewing machine main shaft through flywheel for administering the test. The SCADA is further connected to laptop.
There are 5 designs of fabric templates to be stitched by the sewing operator. When the SMO starts sewing, the i-SMART system automatically records the data, then the sewn fabric templates are scanned by a flatbed scanner. Once the process data and scanned image is uploaded to portal, the skill rating score is automatically calculated and available at the portal.
Each operator gets two rating scores; process rating and quality rating. Additionally the system also calculates eight generic skill attributes of each operator, which will can help an organisation to allocate right operators to right operation (during line balancing) and also plan skill upgradation of operators. Score can also be used for annual appraisal of sewing operators.
- World’s first ‘operation-neutral’ skill evaluation system for sewing operator.
- Backed by robust MTM (Methods Time Measurement) for worldwide acceptability.
- 100% objective (numerical score), faster, error free, and repeatable.
- Easy yet secure access of skill score in web, enabling easy portability of operators between organisations.
- No special hardware or software required, Uses only one proprietary hardware, rest hardware are generic, and software is complimentary.
- Wider geographical reach; any SMO, anywhere in the world can be evaluated.
- Perfect for manufacturing organisations, operator training centres, and educational institutions.
- Industry 4.0 technology, cloud based solution, creates digital twin of sewing operator.